Designed a cleaning device for
older adults with limited mobility.
Introduction
In a graduate studio project, my team was tasked with designing a research-backed solution for an emerging opportunity that our client, P&G, was interested in exploring. Over the next 10 weeks, we worked to design a product that would help older adults to continue cleaning their homes on their own as they age and face mobility issues.
Project Attributes
Design Strategy, Product Design
Relevant Industries
CPG, Health & Wellness, Senior Living
Skills Used
User Research, Insight Development, Brainstorming & Ideation, Concept Sketching, Concept Testing
Disclaimer
Team
The details of this project are protected by an NDA with P&G. This page describes my team's product development process without divulging specific product details. 
 Caroline
Jeremy
Justin
Miranda
Research
First, our team developed a research plan and identified 8 adults over the age of 55 who fit into our target demographic. We conducted 3 rounds of interviews with each participant using Dscout's online research platform. From this research, our
goal was to learn:
1
what challenges older adults faced in cleaning their homes
2
what their easiest and most enjoyable cleaning activities were
3
what areas of the home they struggled with cleaning the most and least
4
how their health and fitness levels affected their cleaning abilities and specific cleaning routines
Insight Development
Using various design frameworks, we recorded and developed insights from our research subjects' lived experiences, which we used to map the problem area, to highlight tensions in the user journey, to identify opportunities to alleviate the biggest user tensions, to establish standards for success and failure in future designs, and to guide our brainstorming and development of potential solutions.
Design
In between rounds of user interviews, we brainstormed 20+ conceptual designs, and evaluated them according to 6 design requirements that were identified from our initial research learnings. After testing some concepts with users during our interviews, we identified the most successful designs based on direct user feedback and our successful design requirements. Next, we went to the shop and started building low-fidelity prototypes to test. By physically creating and testing these prototypes, we were able to see how they would look and function in practice. And, most importantly, we were able to share these prototypes with users to get their raw feedback and understand how they would choose to interact with them.
User Ranking of Concepts
Build
After evaluating the feedback from physical prototype research, our team decided to move forward with one specific concept that did the best job of incorporating our successful design requirements and pleasing users. Other members of our team designed a high-fidelity prototype of the successful design concept in Solidworks and 3D printed a few different versions of it. 
device_exploded.jpg
We made some readjustments in the design according to user feedback. Finally, we developed a brand for the product to fit within one of P&G's most successful product families and presented the product to our clients with research evidence supporting each of the design decisions we made.
Reflection
In working on this project, I gained experience in a research-intensive, human-centered product development process - where I used insights generated from user research (in a remote environment) to inform strategic decisions related to a product's form, function, and value proposition.
The MVP and presentation of our research-backed design decisions were my team's final deliverables for this project. If I were able to continue further with this project, I would want to iterate a more functional alpha prototype, dive deeper into hands-on product testing, and develop improved product designs optimized to address new research learnings.